The Windmill, 37 Main Street, Killinchy, NEWTOWNARDS, County Down, BT23 6PN
Description & Features
John Minnis Estate Agents are delighted to bring to the market one of the largest converted Windmills within Ireland. This is a fantastic prospect to purchase one of Ireland’s most prestigious properties and really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This enchanting building dates back to the early 1700s and with its towering historic features can often be spotted from miles away. This former working Windmill has been converted into an incredible family home, with unique circular living spaces across several floors affording spectacular views from every level. This charming Windmill stands tall over the quaint village of Killinchy and is located in an unrivalled position to the highest point of the Parish, circa 258 feet above sea level. It is within the Strangford Lough Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with breath-taking views over an Irish Drumlin waterscape. Experience the panoramic views of Strangford Lough and the surrounding countryside as far as the Mountains of Mourne. Isle of Man and Newtownards peninsula, This truly is a unique property and we have no doubt will attract local and international interest. Steeped in history, this landmark property and adjoining Miller’s cottage has been sympathetically converted into a four bedroom family home to the highest specifications – providing every modern convenience whilst retaining its original character and charm. As featured in Northern Ireland Homes & Lifestyle (‘Unique Situation,’ August 2018), the Windmill is immaculately presented throughout, with well-proportioned accommodation incorporating four bedrooms, a luxurious handcrafted kitchen, large dining room, and drawing room. Furthermore the master bedroom enjoys dramatic views of Strangford Lough. Bedrooms two, three and four are positioned within the Miller's Cottage along with a luxurious bathroom and large boot/prep room. Externally there are beautifully landscaped gardens designed to privately enjoy the panoramic views from every aspect, providing an array of colourful shrubs and mature planting with gardens laid in lawn. A large infinity wood deck affords uninterrupted views of the surrounding countryside and spectacular sunsets. The grounds feature a summer house with direct views of the Lough and the fenced nature trail surrounding the Windmill creating a perfect frame for this unique home. The expansive sheltered patio area, is the most idyllic setting for relaxing on a summer’s evening. The greenhouse is situated between lower and upper gardens and a private courtyard with ample parking leading to the detached double garage - accessed via private laneway and electric wooden gates We expect high levels of interest for this unique property, to arrange your private viewing please contact our Comber branch on 02891 871 212.
- Converted former Windmill, one of the largest in Ireland
- Panoramic 360 views of Strangford Lough and the Mourne Mountains
- Showcase property in Northern Ireland Homes (August 2018)
- Galley kitchen with granite work surfaces and stunning lough views
- Dining room with feature open fireplace
- First floor drawing room with Petit Goudin multi-fuel burning stove
- 4 Bedrooms including top floor master bedroom with en suite bathroom
- Access to unique Windmill rooftop observation deck
- Fully equipped utility/boot room
- Ample storage throughout, including extensive attic space and large linen cupboard
- Beautifully maintained gardens with greenhouse and summer house
- Fenced nature trail along periphery
- Extensive walled patio area accessed directly from the dining room
- Infinity wood deck with views of the surrounding countryside
- Accessed via private laneway and electric gates
- Extensive courtyard and detached double garage
- Short commute to Belfast city centre - and Belfast City Airport with frequent connections to London Heathrow
- Walking distance to Killinchy primary school, much sought after for its academic sucess
- Walking distance to Ballymorran Bay and minutes away from Whiterock Yacht Club
- Conveniently located to local amenities, including the award-winning Balloo House restaurant, sailing and golf clubs
- Double glazed timber front door with matching side lights, outside light.
- ENTRANCE HALL:
- Spacious bright cathedral entrance hall leading up to the Windmill via original quarry tiled steps.
- DINING ROOM: 5.33m x 4.06m (17' 6" x 13' 4")
- Original Quarry tiled flooring with impressive open feature brick fireplace and separate pantry. A lovely light and spacious area with a large dining area and timber French doors opening into an extensive patio area – a perfect secluded area for outdoor dining and entertaining for guests with steps leading to the upper gardens.
- HAND MADE KITCHEN: 5.38m x 1.98m (17' 8" x 6' 6")
- Charming ‘galley’ kitchen’ with expansive Lough views. An excellent range of bespoke hand painted cabinets, double range cooker with granite work surfaces, 1.5 tub single drainer stainless steel sink unit with mixer taps, Britannia range cooker, extractor hood, Bosch dishwasher and fitted fridge. The kitchen also benefits from a separate large pantry.
- DRAWING ROOM: 6.07m x 5.13m (19' 11" x 16' 10")
- Featured Petit Goudin multi fuel wood burning stove with quarry tiled hearth, triple aspect windows all with exceptional views, New Zealand hardwood floors and hotpress with copper cylinder and immersion heater with shelving. Also featuring a charming Juliet balcony with Lough views just off the main room. Staircase leading to the master bedroom.
- MASTER BEDROOM: 5.54m x 3.38m (18' 2" x 11' 1")
- Painted floorboards, 2 vertical radiators, double built in robes with integrated hanging space, drawers and shelving, three windows providing stunning views over surrounding farmland, Strangford Lough, Islands, The Mourne Mountains & Ards Peninsula. Access ladder for the top of the Windmill.
- LUXURY ENSUITE SHOWER ROOM:
- Modern white suite comprising: separate shower cubicle with handmade Italian tiles thermostatically controlled shower along with rain head and telephone hand shower, pedestal wash hand basin with mixer taps, push button WC, traditional style radiator and heated towel rail, painted floor boards, recessed spotlighting, extractor fan, integrated shelving, stunning views over Killinchy Village, surrounding farmland and Strangford Lough.
- Leading directly off main entrance hall. Quarry tiled flooring.
- BEDROOM (2): 3.84m x 2.92m (12' 7" x 9' 7")
- Polished walnut floor, vertical radiator, double built-in robe, views over farm land to Strangford Lough.
- CONTEMPORARY BATHROOM:
- Traditional style white suite comprising: Freestanding roll top ball and claw foot bath, chrome -plated brass mixer taps and rain head thermostatically controlled shower over and telephone hand shower, freestanding vanity unit with cupboards below, wash hand basin with mixer taps, cast iron WC with 'Albion Bath Co' high level cistern with chain pull, traditional style radiator and heated towel rail, Fired Earth fully tiled walls and ceramic tiled floor, LED recessed spotlighting.
- BEDROOM (3): 3.84m x 2.92m (12' 7" x 9' 7")
- Polished Walnut floor, double built in robe, vertical radiator, sweeping countryside views leading down Strangford Lough.
- UTILITY ROOM: 5.08m x 2.84m (16' 8" x 9' 4")
- At widest points. Single drainer stainless steel sink unit with mixer taps, plumbed for washing machine, concealed hot press with copper cylinder and immersion heater, quarry tiled floor, Grant Vortex oil fired boiler (installed ) stable door to rear. Staircase leading to:
- BEDROOM (4): 6.58m x 2.84m (21' 7" x 9' 4")
- 2 Velux windows, recessed spotlighting, eaves access, storage, built in vanity unit, wash hand basin with cupboards below, Formica roll edge work surface, hatch door to Entrance Hall.
- DETACHED DOUBLE GARAGE: 5.84m x 5.69m (19' 2" x 18' 8")
- Remote control up and over door, roof space storage.
- Large tarmac driveway with fantastic parking and electric gates on stone pillars. Further approached by tarmac driveway leading off Main Street. Fantastic gardens surround the property laid out in lawns, flowerbeds and borders in trees, hedging, mature shrubs and plants, large sheltered patio area with surrounding dry stone wall, garden summerhouse, fencing, large timber deck with spectacular far reaching views, beautiful grass path with bench seating areas and panoramic views over surrounding farmland, Strangford Lough, Islands, the Mourne Mountains and across County Down.
Windmill Ground Floor
Windmill First Floor
Windmill Second Floor
Millers Cottage Ground Floor
Millers Cottage First Floor
Type of Tenure
Current Energy Rating
Potential Energy Rating
Costs to Consider
Compare home insurance quotes with
Legal Fees Calculator
Making an offer on a property? You will need a solicitor.
Budget now for legal costs by using our fees calculator.
- On the panels of all the mortgage lenders?
- Specialists in Conveyancing?
- Online Case Tracking available?
- Award-winning Client Service?