Craigdarragh House, 57 Craigdarragh Road, Helens Bay, Bangor, County Down, BT19 1UB
Sale Agreed Guide Price £2,000,000 Convert to EUR
|Property Type:||Detached||Price:||Guide Price £2,000,000 Convert to EUR|
|Bedrooms:||-||Offer Status:||Sale Agreed|
For more information on this property call 028 9042 1414 or Email Agent
Features of this property
- A B1 listed Italianate style residence and estate of National Importance.
- Designed by Charles Lanyon and built in c.1850 for Francis Gordon
- The house is surrounded by c.26 acres of lawns, pasture and woodland.
- The interior retains some of the original features including elaborate door surrounds, cornicing and round-headed niches.
In his book, Buildings of North County Down, C E B Brett refers to Craigdarragh House as "A very fine, grand house in Charles Lanyon's most ornate style: externally if not internally, almost as grand as Ballywalter Park the home of Lord Dunleath. A stone and stucco house in Italianate palazzo style." Craigdarragh appears in public records in 1863 as being occupied by George Hamilton then Lord Dufferin and was valued at £120. Thomas Workman bought the freehold of Craigdarragh from the Durrerin estate in 1883, he was President of the Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society from 1898-1900. The son of linen merchants he served his aprenticeship with Harland & Wolff and then prospered as one of the founders of Workman Clark shipbuilders. During WWII the house was commandeered by the Army, a large hutted encampment was constructed in the grounds which housed some of the first American troops in Europe. After the death of Major Workman in 1949 the house was sold to the Sisters of Mercy and converted into a nursing home for the elderly. The main entrance of the house is to the landward (southern side) and features an ornate Doric porch, quoins, detailed cornice and decorative frieze. There is a secondary entrance to the garden (western) side with columns in antis which also features ornate plaster work and quoins. The interior retains some of the original features including elaborate door surrounds, cornicing and round-headed niches. Other details are hard to appreciate as the house was converted to St. Columbanus nursing home in 1950's. Many alterations were made to the building as a consequence. Indeed a rather unsightly addition was made at that time and a further one in 1988. The nursing home was closed in 2002. Approached by a sweeping, private driveway 'guarded' by a Gate Lodge at its entrance, the house is surrounded by c.26 acres of lawns, pasture and woodland with over 200 trees of various varieties. There is also a 'glen' with a stream and waterfall. The demesne has considerable frontage to a sandy cove and enjoys views over Belfast Lough.
Location of Craigdarragh House, 57 Craigdarragh Road, Bangor
Craigdarragh House is located approximately 10 miles east of Belfast City centre and is approached by a private tree lined avenue off Craigdarragh Road, Helen's Bay. Craigdarragh Road is the main road into Helens Bay off the Belfast to Bangor A2 carriageway. Belfast City Airport is approximately 8 miles away.